Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electrical issues - fuses?, Gauges and turn signals not working
sarivers2001
post May 9 2024, 06:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,527
Region Association: Northern California

Good afternoon everyone! I have a question for the group.

My 1974 914 2.0 was operating just fine when I dropped it off at an autobody shop for some rear quarter panel bodywork involving some repainting. I picked it up today and now none of the electrical gauges are working.

While the speedometer and odometer are working (I believe they are only mechanical), the tach stays at zero. The red generator light turns on shortly after starting (but not immediately) and the fuel gauge and voltmeter in the center console flicker up and down when I apply the brakes.

I suspect that one or more of my fuses got fried while the body work / painting was being done, or it may be a simple as somebody banging their knee against the fuse box.

Any other thoughts or similar experiences out there?

Many thanks,
Steven
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sarivers2001
post May 9 2024, 08:23 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ May 9 2024, 05:09 PM) *

My 1974 914 2.0 was operating just fine when I dropped it off at an autobody shop for some rear quarter panel bodywork involving some repainting. I picked it up today and now none of the electrical gauges are working.

While the speedometer and odometer are working (I believe they are only mechanical), the tach stays at zero. The red generator light turns on shortly after starting (but not immediately) and the fuel gauge and voltmeter in the center console flicker up and down when I apply the brakes.

I suspect that one or more of my fuses got fried while the body work / painting was being done, or it may be a simple as somebody banging their knee against the fuse box.

Many thanks,
Steven

Follow up question: what are some recommended sources (stores? Internet sellers?) to buy original equipment style replacement fuses? Thanks again

+Quote Post
fiacra
post May 9 2024, 08:45 PM
Post #3

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ May 9 2024, 07:23 PM) *

Many thanks,
Steven

Follow up question: what are some recommended sources (stores? Internet sellers?) to buy original equipment style replacement fuses? Thanks again

Multiple sources for the fuses, which are readily available. Any VW parts supplier (CIP1, Wolfsburg West, JBugs, etc...) will have them. I can get them at my local auto parts store and since you are also in Northern California it's likely you can as well.

Given your problems started when someone worked on your car the first place I would check would be the area worked on. If you have a blown fuse (although you don't say if you checked) it blew for a reason. Certainly the wiring for the brakes is in proximity to the rear quarter panels. Run the wiring and look for any damage, detached grounds, shorts, etc. Did they paint over a ground and not clean the metal? Did they remove the rear tail lights? Check connections there. That's at least a good place to start.
+Quote Post
Ishley
post May 9 2024, 09:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 25,957
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you had work on the drivers side check the relay board and make sure all the plug in cables are seated properly. Also there is a ground behind that board that should be cleaned and make sure all the wires to it have a solid connection.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 9 2024, 09:59 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

I believe that it's fuse #8 being popped that causes these symptoms.

I picked up some ceramic fuses at O'Reilly's in Sunnyvale, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding them.

--DD
+Quote Post
NARP74
post May 10 2024, 07:55 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have a very similar post to this one. Check the tail light connections in the trunk. They are exposed, might be hard to see, gymnastics required. I had a connection shorted after it was hit by something I loaded in the trunk for a trip. Took out the same circuit every time I used the left turn signal.
Find a local bug shop or older German car shop. These fuses were used on more cars than I realized. I bought some online, time was not a big issue for me.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post May 10 2024, 08:53 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

I'd second the checking of the tail light connections.
Here's a map:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2720145

Fuses:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2739HM/?colii...lv_ov_lig_dp_it
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 10 2024, 09:50 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

fourth fuse from the right not making a good connection

Many thanks,
Steven

+Quote Post
sarivers2001
post May 12 2024, 07:13 PM
Post #9

Many thanks to all for their advice and recommendations. The culprit was, in fact, the fuse that George and few others identified in the thread above. After taking a closer look at the fuse box and the condition of the other fuses, probably time to swap them all out for some new ones, and I definitely need a new fuse box cover!

Steven

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 10 2024, 08:50 AM) *

fourth fuse from the right not making a good connection

Many thanks,
Steven

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 07:19 AM