Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering Rack Q Post Rebuild
rjames
post May 8 2024, 06:38 PM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just got my rebuilt steering rack back from 914Rubber, and it looks great!
Before I move forward with the install... When I center the part that the puck/steering shaft attaches to, the left and right sides of the rack aren't equal in length. Should they be? The difference is just a bit more than a 1/4" (the angle of the photo makes it look like less).
I didn't make a note of what it was before I sent it in for the rebuild. Just want to make sure before I start putting the entire front end back on.

Attached Image
Attached ImageAttached Image

It's also very stiff and hard to turn on the bench. 914Rubber noted on the invoice that it would be stiff since it had a new/refurbished tension puck so I shouldn't be paranoid, but it's really stiff. In Ian's video where he shows his rebuilt rack, it appears that he can easily turn his by hand. Not so for me. For those who had their racks rebuilt, is this normal, and if yes, how long does it take to 'break in'? Maybe this is normal and with the leverage that the steering wheel provides I won't notice?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 8 2024, 08:27 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Should be a bit stiff to turn. We set the drag to the factory spec. Will be a little hard to turn by hand. Looks like we are one spline off. We can reset it for you if you want to ship it back, but. It's as simple as taking the nut off and resetting. Other than we should be centering, it will not make a difference as they are adjusted at he steering wheel, and the u joint as necessary. Just let me know what you'ld like to do on the rack.

Mark
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 8 2024, 08:57 PM
Post #3

I'm made of metal

Mark, thanks for responding quickly. I appreciate it.
Are you saying that centering it exactly is as easy as removing the nut and then centering the bar and then just retightening the nut? There must be more to it than that?

I love 914Rubber, but I have to admit that I’m disappointed. Especially since part of the sell on the service was that rebuilding these things was a very precise process that was best left to the pros. Makes me worried that the tension wasn’t set correctly or something else might not be as it should. This wasn’t a cheap purchase for me. I understand that mistakes happen though.

If I can easily center it easily myself then it’s not a big deal, but specific instructions would be appreciated. Otherwise I’ll send it back.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 8 2024, 11:56 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Yes, it's pretty straight forward. The shaft is centered (measured from ends. We clock the yoke at 12 and 6. It may have got bumped prior to install, but it's that simple.

I'll follow up with Scott as we detail the rebuilds and see what is recorded for the tension set.

Drop you a message tomorrow.

-Mark
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 9 2024, 11:32 AM
Post #5

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 8 2024, 10:56 PM) *

Yes, it's pretty straight forward. The shaft is centered (measured from ends. We clock the yoke at 12 and 6. It may have got bumped prior to install, but it's that simple.

I'll follow up with Scott as we detail the rebuilds and see what is recorded for the tension set.

Drop you a message tomorrow.

-Mark

Thanks Mark!
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 10 2024, 02:41 PM
Post #6

I'm made of metal

@Mikey914
Sending it back, sent you a PM.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 10:06 AM